Hostellerie Le Castel
Route de la Gare 14
CH - 1661
Phone. +41 26 912 72 31
Fax. +41 26 912 00 60
open 7 / 7
N° de TVA
Last update :
20 mai 2013
To the north, the eye glances over the plain of Bulle.
To the south, the gaze lingers on the range of the Vanil mountains, the crane-drivers dominated by the dark Vanil Noir (Black Vanil). There, perched upon a green spear, flanked by its castle, rules the ancient Gruyères.
Rue du village depuis l'Eglise
In the beginning, Montbarry was the name of a prominent hill east of Pringy, near the ferme du Loup (Wolf's Farm). In time, the name was given to the health resort with hot springs.
On July 8th of 1784, Doctor Blaise Thorin from Villar-Sous-Mont was the first who recognized the value of the sulphurous springs.
On August 2 of 1825, the water was analyzed by David Luthy, a pharmacist from Berne.
The clear and pristine water turned milky n contact with the air. Its odour was fetid, its flavour was insipid and nauseating. Its mass was almost equal to distilled water. The water was soft to the touch, it bleached clothes, but blackened metals.
The hot spring waters successfully cured acidaemia, persistant scabies, lichen and all sorts of other skin diseases. The spa helped people with nervous and delicate constitutions as well as violent tempers.
Montbarry was the in-vogue spa for many summer visitors from France, England and even the USA. Thanks to its exceptional situation, Montbarry was considered as a spa and health resort at the same time: Near the forests, practically in the mountains, where the fresh air quickens the appetite and tonifies the weary body.
Mouse over the thumbnails to see the enlarged image